Creamy Mushroom Risotto Recipe is a recipe from my son Matthew, and one of his favourite dishes.
Mushrooms are an exceptionally nutrient-dense food that are low in fat and a great source of fibre and protein (especially good for plant-based diets) They also satisfy your appetite quicker and encourage you to eat less during the day. They are an exceptional natural multi-vitamin as they are chock full of minerals and vitamins, including B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper, and (particularly when exposed to the sun) vitamin D.
The humble mushroom is a power house superfood and definitely one to add or introduce to your menu. This Creamy Mushroom Risotto Recipe is a great way to introduce the flavour to your children too!
1 large brown onion – fine diced
4 cloves garlic or 2T crushed garlic
2 cups arborio rice
1 bunch fresh asparagus
4 big field mushrooms – sliced
125 ml or half cup white wine (any or optional)
100g shaved *Parmesan cheese
1.5 litres chicken stock
Salt + pepper to taste
2 T olive oil
100g *goats cheese
1. Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic, sweat off for a minute
2. Add mushrooms, brown off for a minute then add rice and seal (should make a popping sound) it’s normal! Cook for a few minutes on medium heat
3. Add wine and cook out for a minute then add stock gradually 200 ml at a time until absorbed cook for 20 minutes
4. Char grill asparagus to serve at end
5. Once fully cooked add Parmesan cheese and then mix in butter, season and add goats cheese, asparagus and serve
*Note: you can substitute parmesan & goats cheese& butter for a dairy free version if you prefer. If you’re not into rice you can always use Quinoa!
Let me know how your risotto turns out and if you make any modifications – I love hearing from you, and when you share, others can learn! Plus Matt would love to know what you think?